Vernian Process is an Avant-Garde band formed in San Francisco in 2003. Taking its name from the works of 19th century author Jules Verne, Vernian Process is a band that creates music themed around Victorian scientific romance and its modern counterpart steampunk. Their sound is a fusion of modern and old-world styles including darkwave, progressive rock, neoclassical, trip-hop, ragtime, and other related genres. The band currently consists of vocalist Joshua A. Pfeiffer, multi-instrumentalist Martin Irigoyen, bassist Janus Zarate, and multi-Instrumentalists Brian Figueroa and Kyle Thomas. The band also featured live and in-studio guests.
Pfeiffer began working on music under the name Vernian Process in the winter of 2003. He released a number of downloadable albums over the next 4 years, including 2004's Discovery and 2006's The Forgotten Age, before being approached by Irigoyen about joining the project to work on Behold the Machine. From that point forward, Vernian Process evolved beyond a solo project. Throughout 2009, as work on the album progressed, Vernian Process sought out additional members in order to play shows to support the upcoming release of Behold the Machine, as well as record new material for future albums. Zarate joined in 2009, followed by Fargo, Figueroa, and Thomas in the latter half of 2009 and early 2010.
Behold the Machine was released on October 1, 2010.
On November 11, 2010, they announced that their next album would be titled The Consequences Of Time Travel.
In February 2014, The J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, California launched a video they created with Vernian Process to promote their Victorian photography exhibition.
- Joshua A. Pfeiffer - Vocals, Songwriting
- Martin Irigoyen - Guitars, Songwriting, SFX
- Janus Zarate - Bass Guitar
- Free Fargo - Drums
- Brian Figueroa - Keyboards, Guitars
- Kyle Thomas - Keyboards, Accordion
- Erica Mulkey - Live Guest Cello
Live, Vernian Process is often joined by Cellist Erica Mulkey of Unwoman.
Vernian Process has appeared at events performing with Attrition , Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, and Faith and the Muse, Ravenwood Festival in Arkansas, and the Eccentrik Music Festival in Chapel Hill, North Carolina in 2008. In 2009 they appeared at a number of festivals, notably Steamcon in Seattle, Washington (alongside Abney Park), Eccentrik Festival in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and The Endless Night Festival in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Gilded Age RecordsEdit
In 2008 Joshua and Evelyn Kriete founded the musical collective 'Gilded Age Records' to release all future Vernian Process material under. As of October 2010, over fifty other 19th Century influenced bands and solo artists have also joined the collective.
As of 2008, Joshua, Martin, and Allison Curval have begun working together on the musical score for the steampunk themed videogame; "Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess" for Imagineer Games.
- Discovery (2004)
- The Forgotten Age (2006)
- Behold the Machine (2010)
- The Consequences of Time Travel (Volume I: Clotho) (2019)
- The Consequences of Time Travel (Volume II: Atropos) (TBA)
- Steam Age Symphony (2003)
- Revolution (2005)
- Catching Up With Vernian Process (2006)
- Catalysts (2006) - A Collection of cover versions
- Vernian Process: Official Site (last update: 2013)
- Vernian Process on MySpace.com (dead link)
- Vernian Process on Facebook.com (dead link)
- Interview from The Mick #30 (starts on page 160), by Mick Mercer
- Interview with Sepiachord.com
- Interview with The Aether Emporium
- Interview with Livid Looking Glass Magazine